CALL FOR 2 DATA & KNOWLEDGE CONSULTANTS
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Languages Required: English & Greek or Turkish
Duration of Contract: 150 days over 8 months
Probation Period: Three months
Contract Start Date: 12 May 2022
Contract End Date: 23 December 2022
The Cyprus Dialogue Forum (CDF or Forum) is a non-formal dialogue space consisting of political, economic and social stakeholders from both communities in Cyprus. It has been designed by local stakeholders as a safe space for fact-based dialogue and as a long-term accompanying mechanism to support the peace process. The Forum is supported by a Secretariat function that comprises a team of professional staff that provide coordination, facilitation, research and technical/logistics support to the Forum dialogues (including thematic Task Groups) and stakeholders. To support the work of the Forum, the Secretariat is aiming to recruit two Data & Knowledge Consultants (DKC) – one English & Greek-speaking, and one English & Turkish-speaking.
The work of the DKC will entail two main components. The first component of Data Analysis & Management involves working under the guidance of the Co-Coordinators and Expert Researchers to strengthen the support provided to the thematic Task Groups. Primarily, the DKC will work on knowledge creation and development through data collection, analysis and management, working with database applications in support of stakeholder-led research. The DKC will work in parallel on visualisation of data and on maintaining and updating the CDF’s Libguides (online shared knowledge platform). The second component entails identification, selection and translation of the relevant opinion pieces based on criteria identified by the CDF Secretariat.
The DKC will contribute to effective research development and visualisation of knowledge resources, ensuring a high quality and accuracy of work. The DKC promotes a stakeholder-centered, quality and results-oriented approach, working in close collaboration with all members of the Secretariat as well as Forum stakeholders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESSummary of Key Functions
- Support the process of knowledge creation and research through data collection, analysis and visualisation
- Support content production of the CDF Press Service
Key Function 1: Support the process of knowledge creation and research, through data collection, analysis and visualisation. Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Supporting stakeholder research groups with the efficient collection, cleaning, storage, management, and organisation of data
- Acquiring data from primary or secondary data sources to update and maintain relevant databases while ensuring the accuracy of those databases
- Performing data analysis and preparing data for data visualisation
- Taking the initiative to explore and suggest improvements to the treatment of data in order to meet the needs of the stakeholders
- Working jointly with the Secretariat to develop factsheets, infographics and other knowledge tools to support stakeholders
- Ensuring that research developed is properly prepared and uploaded on to the CDF’s online knowledge platform (LibGuides)
- Taking the initiative in developing, designing and suggesting options for the improvement of tools on the online knowledge platform
Key Function 2: Support the content production of the CDF Press Service. Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Identify and select the relevant opinion pieces based on criteria identified by the Secretariat
- Translate and upload selected opinion pieces on the CDF press site
COMPETENCIES1- Functional Competencies:
- Excellent written and verbal language skills in English as well as Greek or Turkish
- Excellent command of database and spreadsheet applications, including advanced and in-depth knowledge of Excel (knowledge of data visualisation applications is considered an advantage
- Ability to identify and collect data required from one or more sources
- Ability to extract, transform & clean data and prepare it for numerical and categorical analysis
- Ability to build and manage database systems for collecting and storing data and recommend new systems to enhance the visualisation of data
- Ability and experience to review, analyse and manage large volumes of data
- Ability to identify, compare, analyse and interpret trends or patterns in datasets
- Ability and experience in visualising data by articulating complex data into easily digestible formats
2- Core Competencies:
- Ability to work effectively toward tight deadlines
- Excellent critical and creative thinking and analytical skills
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Objective, impartial and respectful of different positions and points of view
- Ability to work with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Acts as a team player and facilitates teamwork
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- Master’s degree in related field with at least 3 years of relevant experience working with data, or Bachelor degree in related field with at least 5 years of relevant experience working with data
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analysing datasets
- Specific knowledge on labour and economic issues considered an advantage
- Knowledge of the Cyprus political situation and its challenges considered an advantage
- Excellent knowledge and command of English (written and spoken) as well as Turkish or Greek (written and spoken) is an absolute requirement
WORKING HOURS & CONDITIONS
The Data and Knowledge Consultants will work to support the CDF Secretariat and the CDF stakeholders. The Consultants are expected to work from the Home for Cooperation in the UN Buffer Zone, where a designated office space will be made available to them. The daily working hours of the Consultants are 9am-5pm (8 hours per day), except when meetings are scheduled outside working hours for which the Consultants may be expected to participate on occasion.
The Consultants will be paid for days worked in a given month. A monthly payment will be made at the end of each completed month of work upon submission of a timesheet and based on the successful completion of tasks assigned. The Consultants will not work on days the CDF office is closed. It is the responsibility of the Consultant under this individual contract to ensure that they comply with all relevant income taxations and social insurance payments. The Cyprus Dialogue Forum Secretariat shall have no liability for taxes, duties or other similar charges payable by the Consultant under this Individual Contract.
The Secretariat will provide the office space and desk. The Consultants will need to provide their own laptop and means of transportation.
Interested applicants are required to submit the following documentation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, 29 April 2022:
- Curriculum Vitae (including names of references)
- Letter of Intent - Applicants are encouraged here to showcase the relevant experience they have in working with and analysing data
Applications received after this deadline will not be considered. Once an application is submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation of submission within 48 hours.
EVALUATION & SELECTION
Applicants will be selected in accordance with their qualifications and demonstrated level of experience. An evaluation committee will review the applications received and will shortlist candidates. Only shortlisted candidates will be informed and called for an interview. The interviews will take place at the Home for Cooperation on Friday, 6 May 2022. The candidate may be asked to provide a letter of recommendation after the interview.
The Terms of Reference can be downloaded using this link. Interested applicants can obtain further information by sending a request to email@example.com.